VISION FOR ZERO EMISSION TRANSPORTATION
A complete zero-emission transportation system connects our communities and regions.
Targets to slash transportation emissions in half by 2030:
- Ensure that, by 2030, at least half of all new cars, SUVs, and pickups sold and driven are zero-emission vehicles.
- Ensure that each year, each resident shifts 600 km of travel from internal-combustion vehicles to active transportation, transit, or zero-emission vehicles
In British Columbia’s regions, on-road transportation accounts for:
|Region||Community Emissions from Transportation|
|Vancouver Island and Coastal||62%|
|Kootenay and Boundary||63%|
THE TRANSPORTATION BIG MOVES FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Electrify Passenger Transportation
- Adopt ZEV-ready building requirements to ensure that new buildings include sufficient charging ports.
- Design, fund, and build a public ZEV charging network.
- Incentivize zero-emission car sharing and ride-hailing services.
Shift Beyond the Car
- Build safe routes for walking, cycling, and other forms of zero-emission mobility.
- Reduce barriers to e-mobility on demand, such as electric scooter sharing systems
- Collaborate with transit providers, major employers and other local and regional governments to enable a reliable zero-emission public transit service.
These two Big Moves will encourage and enable your residents and businesses to shift:
- Away from single-occupancy internal combustion vehicles, via active transportation, transit, and land-use reforms.
- Towards zero-emissions vehicles, via a robust ZEV charging network.
Alongside the involvement and support of senior governments, utilities, and the private sector, these Big Moves will significantly reduce transportation-related emissions in your community.